A K-12 private school in the City of Los Angeles with 10 structures built between 1952 and 1993 totaling approximately 73,000 sq ft. of enclosed space, plus indoor and outdoor parking areas and athletic fields.
Projected savings of approximately $743,000 over 10 years.
Cost of report: $17,500
A very in-depth and thorough analysis on our all of systems....many valuable new insights into our energy consumption. Your report was insightful and well executed. The recommendations were practical and wide-ranging...
Peter Christian, Director of Operations & Finance
Energy Bill Analysis
- Discovered anomalous spikes in electricity and gas consumption at meters serving three out of the ten structures, so these three buildings became the main targets for energy efficiency improvements
- Recommended replacing nine rooftop package units with more efficient models
- Identified inefficient motors on selected pumps and fans to be replaced with Electronically Commutated Motors
- Utility rebates identified
- Cracks and leaks identified at HVAC units and in ducting
- Minor reducting recommended to improve air circulation and stabilize interior temperatures
- HVAC maintenance regime expanded to improve system functioning and longevity
- HVAC schedule revised to run fewer hours per day with no loss of comfort
- Teachers instructed in the proper use of HVAC controls
- Determined not to be cost effective due to layout of rooftops and electrical system.
- Recommended coating selected rooftops with reflective material to improve insulation and add 10-12 years to the life of the roof.
- Criteria and schedule provided for further application of roof coating.
- Antiquated lamps, ballasts, and fixtures identified and appropriate energy efficient replacements specified.
- Unnecessary lamps and fixtures identified and taken off line.
- Utility rebates identified.
- Landscaping changes specified to allow more sunlight to enter interior spaces.
- Spectrally selective window film specified to reduce interior heat gain and glare.
- Specified locations for operable power strips
- Recommended replace multiple small appliances with fewer large ones.
- Recommended new locations for appliances to improve air flow and cooling.
- Encouraged use of energy saver mode for copiers.
- Detailed measures to eliminate vampire power consumption.
- Recommended eliminating use of screen savers.
- Created new schedule and temperature settings for water heaters.
- Recommended replace selected hot water heaters with point-of-use units and more efficient gas tank units.
- Solar water heating determined not to be cost-effective.
Landscaping and Hardscaping
- Recommended replacement of decorative lawn with drought-tolerant grasses.
- Recommended replacement of impermeable surfaces with permeable ones.
- Unnecessary treatments identified.
- Behavioral changes recommended to further minimize need for treatments.
- Least toxic methods recommended to replace neurotoxins.
- Less toxic but equally effective cleaning products specified.